Sore throat can be caused by a bacterial, or a viral infection – and can be a symptom of an illness that needs to be treated with medications, or antibiotics. Sore throat problems that come and go, and those that do not improve with simple home remedies, will need to be seen by a dentist or a doctor to ensure that the proper treatment can be provided.
There are a number of home remedies that can be done to ease the pain and discomfort caused by sore throat. These remedies can not only help in dealing with the pain of a sore throat problem, but can also help in preventing the problem from further worsening.
Sore Throat Home Remedies
- Gargling with warm water mixed with salt can help ease the pain and discomfort brought by sore throat. The saltwater mixture, when gargled, also acts as an antiseptic that can help clear phlegm by drawing out water from the throat’s mucous membranes.
- Increasing fluid intake will help the throat from getting dry –a condition that may worsen a sore throat problem. Drinking plenty of water, tea, and fruit juices will not only hydrate the whole body – these beverages can also temporarily provide relief from the sore throat problem.
- Honey has antibacterial properties that can provide relief from sore throat problems. Drinking honey mixed with hot tea, or with lemonade, can help improve sore throat.
- Increasing Vitamin C intake can help with a sore throat problem, especially if the symptoms are caused by a flu virus. Loading up on Vitamin C-rich food and drinks can help boost the immune system; taking Vitamin C supplements can also be beneficial in alleviating sore throat symptoms.
- Throat lozenges can provide soothing relief to a painful throat, and are readily available and convenient to use. Sucking on these lozenges, especially those that are menthol or mint-flavored, can ease the pain and discomfort of sore throat.
Do you often have sore throat? What home remedies have you tried when you have a sore throat? Please LEAVE A REPLY below, and share your experiences and comments with us!