Topic: My gums had started receding about 4 years ago.

A Comprehensive Dental Directory at Your Disposal Forums Ask a Dentist Dr Surinder Hundle My gums had started receding about 4 years ago.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr Surinder Hundle Dr Surinder Hundle 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
July 6, 2012 at 10:20 am #14255
Profile photo of anonymous
anonymous

Hello, I’m 29 years old and noticed that my gums had started receding about 4 years ago. I have some recession on my top teeth, mainly on my canines but the big problem is my lower front teeth. From the front you can see a small gap between my 2 front teeth but behind them the gums have receded a lot. On the right lower front I think it’s about 5mm and I’m so scared that my teeth are going to fall out. I have seen numerous NHS dentists and one private one and no one has helped me. One of my dentists said the recession could have been caused by me brushing too hard, I also had my lip and tongue pierced when I was a teenager which he said contributed. My last dentist was the private one, he said that my teeth would fall out within 5 years or that by doing some work he could prolong that to 15 years. He gave me some very expensive periodontal cleaning on my top teeth and then said my wisdom teeth needed removing (I’d never had any trouble with them), and after 2 very painful and scary extractions I was too scared to go back for the cleaning of my bottom teeth. I’m really worried that my gumline behind my lower teeth is getting close to my frenulum (I think that’s what its called). What will happen if it reaches it? Will I still be able to talk? I’m so worried it gives me nightmares! I have read about gum grafts and i think this is what I would like. Do you think that would stop the recession and could you recommend anyone? What do you think the urgency of this is as I had to get a credit card to pay the last dentist and I’m still trying to pay that off but I’m really worried about how much my gums will recede on the meantime. It makes me so sick just thinking about it, please can you give me some advice? Thanks

July 6, 2012 at 10:23 am #14256
Profile photo of Dr Surinder Hundle
Dr Surinder Hundle

Thank you for your enquiry to Lund Osler.
In regards to your receeding gums, the best treatment is to be under the care of a periodontist, he would be the right person to help you and give you the prognosis for those teeth and will take care and instruct you in how to keep them for longer.
You can also go to your GDP and he could refer you to either a periodontist or the consevation department in hospital where they can also look after you.

I hope this information is helpful to you, it cannot be very detailes as we have not seen you before.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Dr Surinder Hundle’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ask Our Dental Advisor a Question

Please choose your location
Please fill in a correct email
*Email
Image:

I agree with my question and answer being published on the this website (your name and email will not be published).

I would like to receive info about the latest news and competitions