Topic: Large Deep Filling

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr Azhar Sheikh Dr Azhar Sheikh 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
December 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm #12220
Profile photo of anonymous
anonymous

Hello,
I had a very large deep filling 6 months ago.

My dentist was not sure if it would work as it was so deep and a large amount of tooth missing. It did work and now 6 months on I went for a check up and he has booked me in for a crown fitting.

The dentist provied no explanation for the crown and I was left confused. I am not altogether happy with my dentist, I am never provided with full explanations and all my appointments seems rushed.

I got a second opinion from a dentist friend (they did not actually see me, but we talked over the phone) my friend said a crown is not needed as the filling/tooth is not causing bother to me. I also asked my hygenist who said the crown may not me neccessary.

I am usure what to do? Stay as I am with the filling and see how I go or have a crown fitted?

Get another opinion from a different dentist?

Thanks

December 2, 2011 at 2:52 pm #12234
Profile photo of Dr Azhar Sheikh
Dr Azhar Sheikh

Hi there here is your reply:

My dentist was not sure if it would work as it was so deep and a large amount of tooth missing. It did work and now 6 months on I went for a check up and he has booked me in for a crown fitting.

After a deep filling it would be reasonable that the dentist waits to see if the tooth remains symptom free and shows no sign of the nerve damage. This would be apparent from a re-assessment of the tooth taking into account your experience over the 6 months and with x-rays as aids. If a large amount of tooth structure is missing this is a reasonable indication for a crown.

The dentist provied no explanation for the crown and I was left confused. I am not altogether happy with my dentist, I am never provided with full explanations and all my appointments seems rushed.

Although you are aware that a large amount of tooth structure is missing and the filling is very deep, it appears that you are unsure as to the reason for the crowing of the tooth. It should be a very simple matter to ask the dentist to explain in greater detail the rationale for a crown – which as I said above – does seem reasonable in the circumstances. This could be done at a separate, prior appointment from the crown one, by phone or email. Confusion usually comes from things not being explained in enough detail or in a rush and I would expect a caring dentist would be happy to provide you with the explanation and reassurance that you need. That would be my first course of action.

I got a second opinion from a dentist friend (they did not actually see me, but we talked over the phone) my friend said a crown is not needed as the filling/tooth is not causing bother to me. I also asked my hygenist who said the crown may not me neccessary.

With respect this is not very helpful. An opinion from a dentist who has not examined you can only be regarded as general advice and opinion. The fact that the filling is not bothering you would seem to be a good time to do a crown in the circumstances that you have outlined above! A hygienist is not qualified to give you an opinion on the necessity for a crown on a tooth.

I am usure what to do? Stay as I am with the filling and see how I go or have a crown fitted?

You should not go ahead with treatment that you do not understand the reason for. However the risk of not having a crown is that the tooth could come to further harm if it is not appropriately treated. My advice would be to seek an explanation from your regular dentist about the need for a crown, the options to a crown and the fees involved. I would also take the opportunity to give him feedback of your experience of his sessions and his practice and I hope he would welcome that. If you are still unsatisfied then it would seem reasonable to seek a second opinion.

Hope this helps

Dr Azhar U Sheikh
http://www.lifedentalimplants.co.uk >

Dr Azhar Sheikh
BDS Manc MFGDP UK
More About Dr Azhar Sheikh >
Write a review

Clinic(s):
Life Dental Implants - 27-29 Warwick Way, Victoria, London

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ask Our Dental Advisor a Question

Please choose your location
Please fill in a correct email
*Email
Image:

I agree with my question and answer being published on the this website (your name and email will not be published).

I would like to receive info about the latest news and competitions