Topic: I have severe puffy gums.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr V. J. Vadgama Dr V. J. Vadgama 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
July 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm #14301
Profile photo of anonymous
anonymous

I have severe puffy gums. Once I got my braces off within months my gums turn from red to pink. I have been brushing(3x), flossing(6x) and mouth wash(3x) a day. They look a bit better color wise. But, how long will it take to get fully rid of them? Thannk youuuu. 🙂

July 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm #14302
Profile photo of Dr V. J. Vadgama
Dr V. J. Vadgama

Thank you for your enquiry
It seems that you have a slight inflammation of the gums in between your teeth. Brushing your gums thoroughly and perhaps by using a super floss to clean between your teeth may resolve the problem.
Should you still be worried, then please book an appointment with the dentist that fitted your braces and I am sure they will be able to advice you accoudingly.
However I have outlined all the causes that may cause the gums to swell.

There are a few reasons people suffer from swollen gums. However, the sooner they find the reason, the sooner they can eliminate this unsightly and unhealthy oral problem. In most instances, swollen gums are caused by a build up of plaque (a thin film of bacteria that develops on the teeth from poor oral hygiene). Periodontitis (gum disease) usually results from plaque allowed to grow unabated. If left unchecked, it will lead to loss of teeth.

Blood vessels in the gums pump blood throughout the body. If the infection in the swollen gums breaks free and enters the blood stream, the infection will be spread throughout the body. It can cause fever, heart attack and stroke, as the infectious bacteria makes its way into the heart.

It has been estimated that about 33-percent of the population suffers from some form of periodontitis, although some of the sufferers don’t realize it for months. Not all cases are caused by poor oral hygiene or a build up of plaque on the teeth underneath the gum line. Many drugs work as blood thinners (aspirin and some prescription medications) and can cause gum disease due to the lack of blood clotting. Mouth ulcers caused by the lack of Vitamin C can also cause swollen gums.

One of the many hazards of swollen gums includes their propensity to bleed from brushing with a stiff toothbrush or from being opened by using dental floss too harshly. In most cases professionals advise if the gums become too sensitive to brushing, using a softer brush can reduce the possibility of bleeding. But in any case, good oral hygiene is the main means by which to reduce the swelling.

If food particles have become lodged between the gums and the teeth, there may by localized swelling. Once the offending particle in removed, the swelling will usually go down, provided any infection has been removed. If the gums tend to swell after using strong toothpaste or alcohol-based mouthwash, it is obvious ceasing the use of these products will help reduce the possibility of swelling. Natural oral health products are best for the health of your mouth.

Malnutrition, pregnancy and ill fitted dentures or braces can all lead to swollen gums. Once the causes have been eliminated, the swelling will usually go away. However, it is important to remember swollen gums are not an issue in themselves. Rather, they are a signal something else is going on in the mouth or body. By eliminating the underlying problem, the symptom of swollen gums will disappear.

In some cases the gums can swell so badly they hide the teeth altogether. In these extreme cases, it will be necessary to seek professional help. But, there are many natural remedies for swollen gums that help to reduce the swelling and to prevent swollen gums in the first place.

I hope the above information is useful

Dr V. J. Vadgama
B.D.S. L.D.S. R.C.S.
More About Dr V. J. Vadgama >

Clinic(s):
Woodbury Dental and Laser Clinic - 149 High Street, Tenterden, Kent

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ask Our Dental Advisor a Question

Please choose your location
Please fill in a correct email
*Email
Image:

I agree with my question and answer being published on the this website (your name and email will not be published).

I would like to receive info about the latest news and competitions