Topic: I have recently had a bridge fitted, and so far have been back to the dentist four times

A Comprehensive Dental Directory at Your Disposal Forums Ask a Dentist Dr Avik Jonathan Dandapat I have recently had a bridge fitted, and so far have been back to the dentist four times

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr Avik Jonathan Dandapat Dr Avik Jonathan Dandapat 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
February 9, 2012 at 6:14 pm #12850
Profile photo of anonymous
anonymous

Hi,
I have recently had a bridge fitted, and so far have been back to the dentist four times, and each time he has ground off some of the back of the bridge because I was unable to bite correctly, chew food or talk without clashing teeth, and have a constant ache in the gum.  >From the onset I felt this bridge casting was incorrect, and the finished result does not look or feel like my natural teeth, and I feel this is the root of the problem.  However, my dentist is now suggesting the next course of action is to perform root canal treatment through the back of the bridge. Before I go back to him yet again, I would like to know  if it is  normal to experience these problems, and is it possible for the bridge to be removed and adjusted or refitted correctly?  I don’t feel I can just put up with having a constant ache and not being able to bite properly, but don’t feel im in a position to question my Dentist’s advice.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Many Thanks

February 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm #12870
Profile photo of Dr Avik Jonathan Dandapat
Dr Avik Jonathan Dandapat

Hi thanks for your inquiry

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems from your bridge – The problem with bridges is that they rely on teeth that need to be drilled down and have significant risks by doing so of damaging the nerves. Grinding down a bridge means the lab has not been able to produce a harmonious bite for you. All I say is subjective and subject to examination but i would have the bridge removed 2 temporary crowns fitted on to the retainer teeth and allow a period of 1 month to see if things settle down for you pain wise prior to diving in and doing a root canal this would be my honest advise. If things settle then i would consider dental implants to replace the missing teeth or remake of a new bridge that is re made for you – there is nothing wrong by you suggesting or indeed insisting the dentist does this for you

i hope this helps

Dr Avik J. Dandapat
BDS(Birm), MFGDP (UK) RCS Eng, Dip.Implant.Dent RCS Eng, (Adv.Cert.Implant RCS Eng)
More About Dr Avik J. Dandapat >

Clinic(s):
Twyford Dental & Implant Centre - 3 Church Street, Twyford, Reading, Berkshire

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ask Our Dental Advisor a Question

Please choose your location
Please fill in a correct email
*Email
Image:

I agree with my question and answer being published on the this website (your name and email will not be published).

I would like to receive info about the latest news and competitions