Topic: extremely odd symptoms indicative of cranial/facial nerve irritation or damage

A Comprehensive Dental Directory at Your Disposal Forums Ask a Dentist Dr V. J. Vadgama extremely odd symptoms indicative of cranial/facial nerve irritation or damage

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr V. J. Vadgama Dr V. J. Vadgama 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
February 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm #13220
Profile photo of anonymous
anonymous

Hello, and thank you for any advice you can give me. For a month now I have had extremely odd symptoms indicative of cranial/facial nerve irritation or damage. I am in the process of having all my front teeth/crowns replaced. (Smile Design) I had an upper implant (left pre molar) placed in October. In December, a front central old crowned tooth broke off (root treated, with post) and the dentist put it back in with temporary cement until we go ahead with fitting all front seven teeth together at the end of Feb. He plans to remove the root and place a bridge. Two weeks ago it came out again while I was on holiday, and I sucessfully stuck it back in myself with the dental repair cement kit my dentist gave me. Ever since since then I have had problems with *severe* altered taste, and \’cold\’ tingling sensations in my upper lip, roof of mouth and throat and nose. My palate feels constantly strange and numb, similar to if you use a numbing spray for throat infection. Inside upper lip and gum above my two front teeth feel ice cold, numb and tingly, and the skin on my face feels like a cold sunburn, like the feeling you get when you rub in menthol muscle rub. These symptoms are ever present and although they don\’t sound bad – it really is awful, and is beginning to really affect me – especially the strange taste, which is NOT like the taste of infection, but very difficult to describe. It affects everything I eat and drink, and I am losing weight which is not a good thing for me as I am already thin. Am I having a late reaction to the implant, or has a nerve been inpinged during placement? ? Is it possible for bacteria, or a virus to attack the nerves through the open end of a broken but root treated tooth? ( My brother has MS, and has said my symptoms sound exactly like his when his facial nerve flares up, he gets a minty \’taste\’ and similar odd sensations.) My dentist is scratching his head, and gave me a course of Amoxicillin which has done nothing to alleviate symptoms, and I am seeing him again in two weeks. Thank you for any advice

February 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm #13276
Profile photo of Dr V. J. Vadgama
Dr V. J. Vadgama

Hello Dierdre

It seems that you need to see a oral pathologist and if you are a resident around London, then you should kindly request your dentist to refer you to one of the teaching hospitals ASAP

Hope this is helpful

Dr V. J. Vadgama
B.D.S. L.D.S. R.C.S.
More About Dr V. J. Vadgama >

Clinic(s):
Woodbury Dental and Laser Clinic - 149 High Street, Tenterden, Kent

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ask Our Dental Advisor a Question

Please choose your location
Please fill in a correct email
*Email
Image:

I agree with my question and answer being published on the this website (your name and email will not be published).

I would like to receive info about the latest news and competitions