A headache treatment will be effective if the underlying cause is diagnosed properly. Treatment for headaches need to be evaluated properly as a headache can be a symptom of a more complicated medical condition, which may be aggravated if the improper headaches treatment is given to the affected individual.
This is Dentistry can give you the information you need about headache treatments, which may sometimes be the result of a dental condition. You can also get in touch with dentists in your local area by browsing through the comprehensive This is Dentistry dentist directory, so you can get the much-needed relief from headache symptoms as you get the headache treatment that best suits your specific symptoms.
Major Categories of Headaches
- Primary Headaches – These include tension headaches, migraine and cluster headaches. Treatment for headaches can be given after proper evaluation of the primary headaches is done. Tension headaches are the most common types of headaches that adults experience, and are more commonly experienced by women. A migraine is a form of vascular headache, and is characterized by severe throbbing pain – which can be accompanied by nausea and vomiting. Cluster headaches are rare, and occur in clusters which can last up to a few months.
- Secondary Headaches – These result from an underlying medical condition in the neck or head area. Some of the causes of secondary headaches include meningitis, a tumor, encephalitis or bleeding in the brain.
- Cranial Neuralgias – These types of headaches result from inflamed nerves in the head and neck area, which is where the pain comes from.
Treatment for Headaches
- Pain Relievers – Pain relievers are the simplest and quickest treatment for headaches. Depending on the cause of the headache and the severity, the pain relievers can provide temporary or complete relief from the discomfort that a headache brings.
- Stress Management – Stress management is a headache treatment that works well with tension headaches. Migraine headache treatment can also be helped with stress management.
- Sleep and Enough Rest – A restful sleep can often do wonders in headache treatment. Sometimes an over-the-counter medication taken before sleeping or resting can alleviate the headache symptoms even faster.
- Acupuncture – Acupuncture can be beneficial to both tension and migraine headaches. Migraine headache treatment that involves medication can be combined with acupuncture for more successful pain symptom management.
If you experience chronic headaches that do not go away with the passage of time, and even with several headaches treatment options, it is best to consult your physician right away; chronic headaches may be signal serious medical conditions that need to be diagnosed properly in the earliest possible time.
Most Popular Treatment & Problem Pages>
- Cosmetic Dentistry>
- Dental Implants>
- NHS Dentistry>
- Difference between NHS Dentistry and Private Dentistry>
- Jaw Ache>
- Teeth Whitening>
Most Popular Dentistry Topics
Get Free Advice on this Topic from our Online Dentists>
Complete ‘Up-to-date’ Guide on Dental Insurance>
Find a Good Dentist in Your Local Area>
Dental Blog: Dental Advice & Tips>
Dental News & Technological Developments>