A general dentist is a dental professional who is licensed to practice in all aspects in the field of dentistry. The biggest priority of general dentists is preventive dentistry, which deals with proper dental health care to avoid the development of dental problems in a patient; however, a general dentist can also expertly deal with restorative dentistry, and proceed with dental treatments and procedures needed to address dental problems.
This is Dentistry will guide you with the proper information about general dentists, so you will find it easier to find general dentists in your local area. The search for a general dentist can start by browsing through the comprehensive This is Dentistry dentist directory, where you can get the contact information of general dentists in your area – so you do not have to go too far to see a general dentist who can address your specific dental concerns.
Treatments Done by a General Dentist
General dentists can do the following dental treatments:
- Professional Dental Cleaning – A general dentist can do professional dental cleaning (including scaling and polishing), and will be able to advise patients on proper oral health care practices.
- Fillings – General dentists can treat decayed patients’ teeth with fillings, which can help in both the appearance and the function of the teeth. A general dentist in your area can help you with deciding on what material to use for the dental fillings, based on your personal preference and his expert opinion on the matter.
- Dental Crowns – A dentist and general dentistry expert can place dental crowns to restore the appearance and function of teeth that have been damaged by tooth decay. The crowns will then protect the teeth from further damage.
- Dental Bridges – A dentist and general dentistry professional can help you with the construction and placement of dental bridges, which are artificial teeth anchored to surrounding dental crowns. Dental bridges act as replacements for teeth that are lost due to tooth decay, gum disease, injuries or other medical conditions.
- Dentures or False Teeth – General dentists can help with the creation and fitting of dentures, which are removal false teeth used to replace missing teeth.
- Root Canal Treatment – The root canal treatment is done by a general dentist when the root part of the tooth gets infected. The root will need to be cleaned, and then sealed, to prevent further infection from returning or spreading.
- Tooth Extractions – In cases when a patient’s natural tooth cannot be saved with any other dental treatment, a general dentist can perform a tooth extraction to save the other teeth from being affected, and to give relief to the patient.