Tongue problems can cause a lot of pain and discomfort for the patient, and these tongue health problems may be symptoms of other medical conditions – the reason why a tongue problem needs to be diagnosed and treated at the earliest stage possible. Any changes on how the tongue feels and looks like may be a warning sign that tongue problems are present, so you need to see a dentist right away for proper diagnosis and treatment.
This is Dentistry will give you the information you need to be able to deal with tongue health problems, and will give you access to the contact information of dentists in your local area so you can get the dental health care you need for your tongue problems. Problems with tongue and the surrounding area should not be taken lightly, and should be addressed with the help of an expert dentist’s opinion.
Symptoms of Tongue Health Problems
Problems with tongue and the surrounding areas have one or some of the symptoms or descriptions listed below:
- Hairy Tongue – This tongue problem is experienced when the tongue appears to have a hairy texture; this tongue health problem can usually be treated easily with a dose of antibiotics, as prescribed by the dentist.
- Black Tongue – A tongue problem that results to the tongue turning dark brown or black, this tongue health problem is usually considered harmless and can be treated easily with proper dental diagnosis and attention.
- Tongue Enlargement – Persons who experience this tongue problem include those who suffer from the following medical conditions: amyloidosis, Down syndrome, myxedema and acromegaly. Those who have lost teeth and do not wear dentures may also experience this particular tongue problem.
- Difficulty when Moving the Tongue – This tongue problem makes it difficult for the patient to chew on food (and swallowing), or to even speak properly.
- Changes in Color – This tongue problem is commonly associated with glossitis or inflammation of the tongue; with glossitis, the tongue appears smooth because the papillae are lost. Another tongue problem that involves changes in color is the Geographic Tongue, when the specific area of inflammation changes on a daily basis.
- Pain in the Tongue – This tongue problem can also be associated with glossitis or geographic tongue conditions; it can be caused by various medical conditions, so it needs to be diagnosed carefully and properly.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Tongue Health Problems
A tongue problem’s treatment will depend largely on the results of the diagnosis that the dentist will make. Simple tongue problem infections can be treated with a dose of antibiotics; however, a tongue problem associated with a more serious medical condition needs to be further evaluated by a physician. Whatever the results may be, it is best to get a tongue problem checked at the earliest possible time, to prevent the tongue dental problem from worsening or getting complicated with the passage of time.
Most Popular Treatment & Problem Pages>
- Cosmetic Dentistry>
- Dental Implants>
- NHS Dentistry>
- Difference between NHS Dentistry and Private Dentistry>
- Jaw Ache>
- Teeth Whitening>
Most Popular Dentistry Topics
Get Free Advice on this Topic from our Online Dentists>
Complete ‘Up-to-date’ Guide on Dental Insurance>
Find a Good Dentist in Your Local Area>
Dental Blog: Dental Advice & Tips>
Dental News & Technological Developments>